Francescas - Moncrabeau: 8 miles
Website (in french): http://www.mhad.frHere you may find some hotels, restaurants and gite in the region
Moncrabeau, small village overlooking the valley of Baïse is located at the boundary of Lot-et-Garonne and Gers.
Who may come by road from Nerac or from Condom, or by boaton the Baïse, the traveler sees on his route a little village perched on the hillside: Moncrabeau appears, surrounded by fields, meadows and greenery, overlooking the valley.
This valley is the backbone of the town. From the Pyrenean foothills and heading towards the valley of the Garonne, the Baïse is a major area of north-south roads coming both from Nerac-Condom, as well as the railway since the nineteenth century and since 1995 Navigation craft on the Baïse.
Moncrabeau, a village of liars
If the name of Moncrabeau crossed the borders not only of the region of the Baïse but also of France, the reason is undoubtedly a tradition since the eighteenth century, which has firmly established the reputation of the villagers whom he whispers they have mastered the art of "misrepresenting the truth, at any time and any place."
Numerous castles, fortified houses, mansions found throughout the town, witnesses quality architecture that has developed between the Renaissance and the Revolution. There are also scattered, interesting elements of the rural heritage: farmhouses, pigeon lofts and laundries are witnessing a common life which ends with changes in the twentieth century.
Moncrabeau, resort tourism
With camping, the water spot and its many cottages, the village has welcomed lovers of ecotourism.
Moncrabeau offers also a pool and a public library, museum of vintage clothing, two hiking trails, a "circuit of liars" and many other walks to discover the local heritage.
The church de Lahitte (La Hitte)
The town of Moncrabeau is divided into two roughly equal halves by the river Baise,
a tributary of the Garonne. Cirice St., St. John and St. Magdalene of Gardere Moncrabeau are on the right bank and built on the bank of rock similar to that which dominates the city of Agen. The churches of St. Radegund Marcadé, St. Clair and St. Peter's of Pouy Artigues-sur-Osse are located on the hills separating the valleys of the Basie and Osse. Finally Lahitte Saint-Roch, the only built in the plain, is on the left bank, like the three previous, but very close to the Baise.
Lahitte Lafite or is mentioned in 1326 in the accounts of the archpriest of Bordeaux as a dependency (decania) of the abbey of Sauve-Majeure. The building, built in stone, this west door with arched walled torus surmounted by a archivolt and north door in chamfered arch, dating from the 15th or 16th century, a tear-shaped vault is visible on the eastern wall. In 1880, the vestry, the church located too low and missing windows, a new local demand. Thanks to the diligence of the pastor Dandrieu, the building was completed in 1892 by Germain, Mézin entrepreneur, both of Dubarry of Lassalle Agen architect: the walls are accented by 4 meters, covered with a false vault The proposed brick vault was abandoned, the roof is redone, a new door is open to the west, the interior is completely renovated.
Terms & Conditions |Links | Homepage
e-mail City Hall of Francescas 2010 -
all rights reserved
Conception et maintenance : e-kommunikation.com
All materials on this website © City Hall of Francesas .
Photographs courtesy of e-kommunikation.com ©